open letter to Justin Timberlake #bringbreweryback

Dear Justin,

We need to talk. One on two. We have an opportunity for you to invest in good times. It’s not a bad thing to do.

justin-timberlake-nodding-yes

There’s this situation, you see. It’s the historic Tennessee Brewery, at 495 Tennessee Street in Memphis, TN. It’s this beautiful old building. Seriously, just gorgeous.

Save-Tennessee-Brewery-Untapped-Building-Justin-Timberlake-Open-letter

If no one buys it, they’re going to tear it down at the end of this summer. Tear it down as in close it—forever.

justin-timberlake-crying-2

I know. Harsh. But we needed to get your attention. I mean just LOOK at this amazing piece of architecture.

Save-Tennessee-Brewery-Untapped-historic-Building-memphis-perservation

jsutin-timberlake-ooh-face-mila-kunis

We told you.

We’re writing you because we know you love Memphis. It’s your city, man. You love this town. I mean, there’s a freakin day named after you here. JT day. You may have heard of it.

But, we’re not going to sugar coat this. This building is stupid expensive. Like, millions of dollars rich people are desperately needed expensive. Seriously. Millions of dollars.

justin-timberlake-hmm-i'm-rich

We know. That’s why we’re writing you. Remember what you did in 2006? Nobody saw it coming. Nobody thought it was possible. But you. Man, you did it. You freakin’ brought sexy back. Well, you know what? In 2014, you’re going to #bringbreweryback. You can even write a song about it if you want. We’d totally download it from the internet buy it from iTunes.

justin-dancing-2

Right now, it’s a temporary beer garden. But there’s so much more it could be. JT’s Beer garden. Timberlake Event Venue. JT Day Festival. Loft space for the Tennessee Kids. Restaurant Timberlake. Really, the possibilities are endless. We’re talking untapped potential.

Just imagine that all for a minute. Imagine it. You could have SO. Much. Fun.

justin-timberlake-wild-dancing

So it looks like you have a decision to make. Now, don’t take this lightly. Take your time. But not too much time. They really are tearing this masterpiece down soon.

justin-timberlake-mickey-hands

Now. Let me talk to you like I love you. It’s not a bad thing to make our city (Memphis) better. It could be love, sex, magic…so fight that tunnel vision. Strap on that suit and tie and let the idea rock your body. Don’t make Memphis cry a river. Don’t make us say, “Bye, Bye, Bye.” It’s been a summer love project. But now the brewery is all like, “Damn girl, don’t chop me up.”

TN tennessee-brewery-untapped invest-in-good-times-memphis-collage-art-print

My love, let’s #bringbreweryback. Or else watch out for the TN Brewery ghost after this summer. Said best by yourself, What goes around, comes around.

justin-timberlake-ghost-drop

mic drop

– lindsey & kristen archer

PS – Visit our Etsy Shop to purchase fine art prints and wood art from this post.

PPS – Have your own thoughts on the TN Brewery? Share them with the powers that be, via this official survey.

65 Comments

1. Reblogged this on lindsey e archer and commented:
    If you haven’t heard (or noticed), I’ve moved blogs to merge with my sister, Kristen. Find all future posts over at getarchd.com…including this open letter to Justin Timberlake to save the historic Tennessee Brewery. Be sure to follow get ARCH’d for future updates!

• Monica says:

Justin’s hometown is Millington. Yes, he says it is Memphis and that is a lie…..He is one that still “lets” his grandparents pay for dinner when he comes “home”!!! He does not do ANYTHING unless it benefits himself. Sorry, to bust your bubble…but I don’t see him saving this building. Yes, it is beautiful, but there are more important issues in Memphis (and every city in the US).

• LEE says:

Killjoy.

• @lynnagem says:

Isn’t that a suburb of Memphis? Come on, you’re splitting hairs. Most people say they are from a city, or the closest recognizable one, if they’re telling someone else where they’re from. Take your hatin’ back to Anonymousville, Grumpy Pants.

2. Amelia says:

This is just plain awesome! I hope he buys! Would be another reason for me to love him even more!! :))

3. Libba Simmons says:

This is so awesome girls!!! Way to go!!

4. Amber Wilson says:

I love this!! U girls are so talented and creative and I agree, beautiful peice of property and would be sad to see it torn down! Great job on your efforts and hopefully enough will press the word that it’ll get back to The man himself , JT!

5. You ladies are pretty AWESOME. I hope JT sees it.

6. John Carroll says:

Amazing post. So creative. Who could say no to this?

• Madeline says:

The people who have homes in the residential neighborhood 5 feet away from the non-stop parties starting at 10 am. This breaks all noise ordinances. The organizers broke every promise, such as acoustic music only. The speakers are so loud it shakes my friend’s house. Constant slamming if port-a-potties and stench of food trucks billowing in your home are terrible side effects,as well. Now this person wants to bring in concerts? It is just not right to ruin memphians lives over this. It is just not right.

• Amanda Hill says:

Ruining lives? That seems a bit of a stretch.

• @lynnagem says:

I’m sure the value of your property will go up. Sell! Move away from the progress before you explode from your own lameness.

• Memphis_Man_83 says:

Your friends chose to live downtown. Plus, one would think that the adjacent homeowners would like having people legally on the property, instead of the illegal activities that used to occur there. I am happy to see a renaissance of sorts occurring in South Main and downtown, enhancing neighborhood vitality. If you are so concerned, then do something about it like I did (helped clean up TN Brewery and make the wooden chairs) instead of griping on social media.
        Sincerely,
        Fellow Downtowner

7. Daniel Taylor says:

So easy to tell other people what to do with their money.

• getarchd says:

We hope that this post will bring awareness to those who have the financial means to help out and are passionate about preserving the beauty in Memphis. We know JT could spend his money on a million other things but we wanted to do our part creatively to spread the word about a building we feel like is worth saving :).

• @lynnagem says:

Almost as easy as reading a blog and telling them how to write it. Or not write it. It’s not like you offered anything constructive. At least you didn’t post anonymously. I can respect that.

• Madeline says:

@lynnagem.. Unnecessary to name call. I am merely stating another point of view from the people who are effected the most. People who have spent their hard earned money to buy a home. Why should they have to move to accommodate you and others? Must it just be your way or the highway? Maturity is looking at both sides. Maturity is listening. Maturity is compromise. There are many fabulous uses for brewery that do not impose on homeowners.

• @lynnagem says:

@Madeline I’m pretty sure I refrained from name calling. I may have commented on your lameness, but I most certainly didn’t call YOU anything negative. I’m glad you are such an authority on maturity, as I’m sure that is what has contributed to your inflexibility with other’s opinions. I disagree with yours, so I’m immature?

Also, if and hopefully not when they tear down the brewery, I’m pretty sure I can safely predict that you won’t like what will go in its place either. It baffles me on a regular basis how people live in metro areas, especially with “downtown” addresses, that have such a low tolerance for noise, new businesses, and pretty much anything that is not in the suburbs. I’m just saying: your hard earned money might be better spent in a more serene neighborhood. You know, one where everything closes no later than 10 pm, everything looks the same, and people try to out lame each other. 😉

• Madeline says:

@lynnagem. . The friend I am referring to who lives in the lofts moved back home here from Boston. She lived in a brownstone on Marlborough street smack in an urban area. She is not a suburbanite as you painted her. The simple difference is that Boston understands how to make it mutually beneficial for both home owner and businesses. Memphis does not at this point. What bothers me more is that every posting I see says “if you don’t like it..move”. That is not mutually beneficial.

8. igorxa says:

Has anyone worked up an estimate of what it would take to get the building useable again? Having explored it a few times, it’s in terrible disrepair. On top of the high price tag, renovations will also be extremely high, and probably cost prohibitive. I love that place, too, but there’s not really much draw to it as a business opportunity. The risk is too high. If they knocked the price way down, it might become feasible.

• getarchd says:

Great question! I saw it last listed for $1.75 million but that didn’t include the renovations needed. I think it ultimately just depends on how it is all approached. Thank you for your food for thought :).

• ccedge says:

The Flyer had a great cover story on this a few weeks back. One of the hopes for Untapped is that it will show investors that you can be creative with the lower levels of the space and NOT have to redo the entire thing at once, which would make it a much more attractive investment for those with the means.

9. I think this is a great idea…maybe reach out to several of the famous people from Memphis to start focusing and giving back to projects like this&help building up the people & areas that need lifting up.

10. Bellrngr9 says:

Your vision is there. Check out what Bethlehem, PA has done with the Bethlehem Steel plant – Sands casino, PBS studio, a Levitt Pavilion, restoring a historical building as the visitor’s center and they are not done. Granted this was done with approval from the city and had lots of people behind their vision. Good luck!

11. Cat T. says:

I dunno. I think the play off of a Muslim extremist young girl kidnapping hashtag is pretty tasteless and I have a feeling JT would absolutely think so too. There are a bunch of other ways and hashtags to express this project well without treading there unnecessarily. I am with you on the cause but I think you really screwed up with the hashtag.

• getarchd says:

We definitely did not intend any such association. The hashtag was created with his popular song lyric in mind, “I’m bringing sexy back.” Thank you so much for supporting the cause!

• LEE says:

Just about everyone with a radio, cellphone Pandora account, or television set will recognize this is a play off his 3x-Platinum single “I’m Bringing Sexy Back”.

• Courtney says:

Are you not familiar with the “internets” or the year 2014? Even my mom knows the “bringing sexy back” song by Justin Timberlake. I have a hard time acknowledging anyone’s comments like that, when they obviously know how to work a computer and comment on a blog post. Obviously people that respond the way you did are just looking for attention and trolling.

12. paulakpeyton says:

It grosses me out that your hashtag is a play on the “bringbackourgirls” hashtag. There is no excuse for comparing a building being torn down to the lives of nearly 300 young girls who have been kidnapped by extremists. Furthermore, this letter is whiny and self-centered, and if you really want to make a difference, you should be asking JT to use his money and fame to urge international government agencies to act and find these girls. Or at the very least, you could be asking him to fix something in Memphis that will make a difference to children here. People are sharing links to this and demanding that the brewery be brought back when they’ve never once posted about bringing those girls home. Privilege is gross, especially when people are unaware of it.

• getarchd says:

Hi Paula,

Our hashtag was created solely on his popular “bringing sexy back” campaign. As artists, historic preservation is important to us and we hope to raise awareness about this beautiful building in a lighthearted way. Thank you for your thoughts!

• paulakpeyton says:

I can see where you intended to go, and I respect that you’re passionate about the building. But given the current news stories regarding the kidnapped teen girls from Nigeria, the meme (without the backstory) is inappropriate. People don’t always click on the link. To be honest, I thought about the song, but there’s a difference between it and your meme. The song uses the word “bringing,” while your meme uses “bring.” That makes it even closer to the campaign to bring back our girls. I’m certainly not trying to argue, especially regarding your intent, and unlike the others who have responded to my comment, I’m not here to resort to petty blows. But I do think it’s important to address the issue. Would you consider adding an editor’s note about this? Totally up to you, and while I’ll understand if you decline to do so, I don’t think it hurts to ask.

• LEE says:

It cracks me up that you would even make that assumption! Surely sometime between 2006 and the present, you have turned on your radio or tv and seen/heard the 3x-Platinum single by Mr.Timberlake, entitled “I’m Bringing Sexy Back” at least once…now think about the hashtag they’re using #bringbreweryback…see the comparison??? Only someone who clearly likes to hear themselves preach would take it to mean what you did and rant about it while misinformed. Thanks for playing though!

• Amanda Hill says:

I’m SO tired of people crapping all over Memphians who want to raise awareness about something, or do something good with their social media. The holier than thou attitudes don’t lead to change.

• Jeff says:

Attempting to raise awareness is actually the opposite of being self-centered. Bringing a negative attitude on a subject that was clearly the least bit offensive is very self-centered. Is it an entertainer’s job to urge the government to make this a priority or is it the elected government’s job to do so? It blows my mind that people can view this creative post in any negative way whatsoever. If you get upset at people that want to see the city grow then why are you located in memphis?

13. Ian says:

This whole “open letter” trend is so excruciatingly dumb. Why don’t you actually try mailing this letter to him, or maybe get in touch with people who can get it to him, for you?

On another note, I love this building, I’ve been there. But there’s the thing: I moved here from Cincinnati, OH, last year, where there’s a neighborhood called Over-The-Rhine, which just went through, and is still going through, a huge gentrification process. LOTS of old buildings being rehabbed for various reasons. As far as this building goes, I just don’t know if it’s “recyclable”. I feel as though if it was, someone would have fixed it up by now. So why hasn’t anyone? Also, has the idea of multiple investors with a portion being crowd-funded been tossed around, yet?

• Gladys says:

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but the year is 2014 and submitting ideas on social media is a way more effective and quicker way to get things out there than sending an actual letter through snail mail. Welcome to the 2014 Ian.

• LEE says:

Ian, judging by your name I feel it’s pretty safe to assume you’ve never been a pre-teen girl desperately trying to get the attention of your world-traveling, internationally known heartthrob crush…otherwise you would know that writing an actual letter and mailing it to said superstar will not only take an incredible length of time, but will also, most likely never reach said superstar. Chances are even his “peeps” won’t see it either, and if they did, by then, sadly it would be too late, seeing as how this place is already on borrowed time.
      However, in true open-letter fashion, this single blog post has already been viewed by thousands, shared just as many times, and reached several news outlets in a matter of a few short hours. Surely, you can see the benefit to taking such a route?

On another note, I’m happy to hear of the growth and success in your hometown, so hopefully you can understand our enthusiasm and finger-crossing for the same to happen here.

• Ian says:

Cincinnati’s not my hometown, Tulsa is. I just lived there when it went through a huge growth period, that is still chugging along.

Second, I get it. We’re in the 21st century. This is the “cool” thing to do. But this is Memphis. You know, metro-area population of 1.3-1.4 million. Where someone knows someone…who knows someone…who knows someone…etc. etc. and so on and so forth. Surely someone can get this to the “right” people. Surely some “southern frat boys” whose daddies own yachts on the river can make something happen, no?

Third, again, I’ve seen this kind of thing happen before. And I’ve seen buildings saved…and others demolished. It’s just a fact of life, especially for the millenial gentrification clan. While I would love to see it saved, I will accept whatever its fate may be. I trust actual investors, who have real information on the structural integrity, for example, of the building, to make an educated decision. I DO NOT trust hipsters who think every single dilapidated building in the world can be saved, because we in the land that is called “reality” know that is not always the case.

14. This is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. audisrad says:

I wish I could “like” Lee’s comments! Sad that there are always a few people out there who have to seek out the worst in every situation.

This is a great, fun way to bring awareness to historical preservation in Memphis, way to go ladies!

16. Danielle says:

Very well done! Also, your reply to the person who went on a rant was stellar! Filled with kindness and awareness as always. It’s a shame they can’t see past their own issues to see that this can only contribute to the city!

17. Lil' Wiggins says:

It’s a dumb letter for a dumb cause, but the self-righteous responses are hilarious. How dare you use a hashtag that references the current cause de jeur!?! How dare you use your energy to save a building instead of saving kids!?! Why don’t you all just relax, take a time out from all the things that make you angry or upset, and go have a beer in the brewery before it’s gone.

18. Allison says:

Would be a great jump to helping us get some positive things to help joblessness & uglyness going on in this city. I’ve been here a long time but not a true or real “Memphian” but I pray for our city everyday. Hopefully things will get better! I actually work with someone that knows him & I know his Ste-mother and have met his father a few times if it’s in my power he will see it & I think he will appreciate it as well. I applaud you. For the person who was not so kind,I myself am not the most positive person around, for my the glass is usually 1/2 empty, however, I work on that daily but there is no reason to be rude & disrespectful to another, I am not like that more like my own worst enemy. Please keep my email& let me know if there is something I can do to help with any fund raiser. jcmfan1ada@aol.com

19. Madeline says:

You know this all sounds great doesn’t it? Would it be great if you are the one who owns a home 5 feet from a non stop party from 10 am to 1 am four nights a week? The organizer has lied to residents of southbluffs and lofts and broke. Every noise ordinance. This is flat wrong. People have a right to live in peace in their own homes. I would like to put all of those in favor of this in the homes of people who live next to the constant pounding of port -a-potty doors slamming… The stench of food trucks consuming your house…the wood piles just ripe for rats… It is flat wrong.

• Amanda Hill says:

I live right next to The Cove and we love it. Karoake and live music until 1am or later. We love seeing people enjoying our city. I wish more people understood this concept.

• Sarah says:

Madeline,

Blah blah blah… We heard you the first time. No one cares anymore, if you wanted a quiet and peaceful neighborhood with no food trucks, music, laughter, or joy then why on earth did you buy a home in a neighborhood on the Southside of downtown that everyone knew was up and coming? Don’t be mad at us that you didn’t catch on to the obvious trends in real estate. Maybe you should look into buying a home in Germantown.

• Madeline says:

Hey Sarah, evidently you did not hear me the first time because it was not me I was referring to, rather my friend who moved here from urban Boston. Last point, if the people did not spend their hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars in south bluffs to buy their homes first, I highly doubt there would even be talks of parties at the brewery. It would still be old cotton warehouses inhabited by druggies. So enjoy your parties off the backs of the people who invested their money in the area, only to have property values go down now.

20. jaime says:

Madeline, ask for reduced rent if it bothers you so much.

• madeline says:

Hi, Jaime. I wish my friend could go back to the bank to get her mortgage reduced. She is a homeowner watching her property value decrease before her eyes so young people can have yet another place to party.

21. I think it is awesome and I cannot like it enough! Ignore all of the negative comments and downers. You are doing a good thing!

22. Dave says:

Well it’s a great idea, but it’s kind of a waste. This place is a gonna crumble to the ground when the earthquake hits. Remember that Memphis is very close to the New Madrid Fault and it’s due to produce a 7.0 within our lifetimes. Brick buildings are the worst when it comes to withstanding earthquakes, and you sure as hell dont want to be in one when it happens. Old buildings are nice, but we can’t really Justify spending Justin’s money just because the building looks nice. It’s a death trap.

23. Catherine says:

Great idea! Beautiful building. Shake the haters girls! You got a good thing going on 😉

24. #Romeburns says:

Madeline,

Unless I’m missing something, the two ladies doing this improv campaign and the promoters of the current fun in the building are not the same?

Unless Lawyers like Mike and Taylor are moonlighting online in drag as The Archer Girls, there is no beef with the neighborhood. It’s an idea. It’s a bit of fun.

If you must toss a pity party about home value, Fook Off, the brewery has been there for decades, raves, and all level of d-baggery taking place. You’re an ass if you think value went down because of a one month event, it was called a market crash for a reason. Hello, wake up time, Realty for the past 7 years, RISKY BUSINESS!

Your friend, bought a place on the bluffs where for the entire month of May, annually, there is a rolling party. The two vacant lots, next to and across from the brewery, are used regularly for parking during MinM, always have been.

There are milk and sugar trucks in the depot across the street all year that smell.

So while the girls have tried to be polite and several people have tried to fend you off, you persist in co-opting their joy. AT LEAST they are doing something about something, anything, other than hair, nails, lattes and live tweeting their daily drudgery like most people.

But I’m not asking for anything from JT.
    So….
    A) I will call you a name, freely, you KillJoy, Assmunching Blogtroll
    B) I will forward this to Justin’s tour guitarist, currently with him finishing his EU tour
    C) I will suggest that you take you ire, your passion, and go put the energy wasted here into #actinglocal #thinkingglobal #beingpositive

or just subscribe to #chillbitchmypostaintaboutyou.

OUT, #romeburns

25. norvell56 says:

Madeline reminds me of the old women that used to complain about the noisy construction of Morgan Keegan Tower in the 80’s when I lived at 99 Tower. Incredible! I’ve lived in the Downtown noise for 30+ years now and would have it no other way. Now in South Bluffs, I would just like to thank you girls for your efforts.

1. […] Memphis sisters, Kristen and Lindsey Archer of ARCH’d, created an open letter to Justin Timberlake, asking him to consider buying the TN Brewery building which is set for demolition after June […]

2. […] an open letter posted on their website, Kristen and Lindsey Archer write to Justin, a native of Memphis, “Remember what you did in […]

3. […] an open letter posted on their website, Kristen and Lindsey Archer write to Justin, a native of Memphis, “Remember what you did […]

4. […] Read more about the TN Brewery's future and the Untapped project in this enlightening article by Chris Herrington. I also suggest you watch this lovely video about TN Brewery Untapped from Choose 901. Memphian Lindsey Archer has made the suggestion that Justin Timberlake should purchase the Brewery; if you're a fan of Justin, you'll definitely want to read this Open Letter to Justin Timberlake. […]

5. […] tends to lend itself to variable criticisms. As we take photographs, design new art prints, and write open letters to Justin Timberlake, we know not everyone will like or enjoy our work. The important thing is to stay passionate about […]